NAD+ (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) is a small molecule essential for the activity of some enzymes that is found in every one of the body’s cells. NAD+ is needed for the fundamental biological processes that make living possible, from metabolism to DNA health. NAD+, is required for safe and efficient energy transfer to tissues from food.
NAD+ is involved in hundreds of metabolic processes. Among these, NAD+ has two general sets of reactions in the human body:
- Working as a helper molecule for proteins that regulate other cellular functions
- Helping turn nutrients into energy as a key player in metabolism
These processes are crucial in that they help with circadian rhythms and oxidative stress while also maintaining the health of the body’s DNA.
- Setting your body’s circadian rhythm, or internal clock
- Converting food into energy
- Repairing damaged DNA
- Fortifying cells’ defense systems